Monday, February 25, 2013

2011 favorites (not previously published) Jan 07, 2012 3:07PM PST

I saw
The Green Hornet, Adjustment Bureau, Rango, The Lincoln Lawyer, Source Code, Xmen First Class, Super 8, Horrible Bosses, Winnie the Pooh, Captain America, Rise of the Planet of the Apes, Red State, Hugo,The adventures of tintin, girl w dragon tattoo in theaters or on Netflix or DVD.
Since I only saw 15 movies (and 3 of them including Red State, Tintin and Dragon Tattoo I saw in January) let's make this simple.
Shit list
I'll eliminate the movies I saw in January, and then two I just liked less than other films.
Movies eliminated cause I saw them in January:
Red State My opinion is literally the exact same as the guy on the left in this video. Some weird editing decisions and characters, but awesome acting and suspense. There's more, but again, I linked that video cause my opinion is hardly any different from that guy's other than in minor, minor ways.
The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo added an awesome opening credit sequence and a bit too long of an epilogue to the Swedish original (though I did really like the very end). Supposedly, this one stuck closer to the book and changed some things around, but honestly it's basically the same as the original, just with better production value. I like them both, slightly prefer this one for that shallow reason.
The Adventures of Tintin was fun and well-animated, but it never really stopped which got a bit tiring for me. With shooting, bloodshed, and a drunk it felt kind of mature for a kid's film, but it doesn't glorify drinking (except maybe in being a memory aid) and the blood was actually part of an important plot point. If anything, the hardest thing to explain to kids might be how many times these characters should have died but unrealistically survived. I liked the bumbling idiot cops as comic relief and it delivers what it promises as an adventure film.
I just liked these less than everything else:
The Adjustment Bureau was an enjoyable rental, but the comparison in the ads for it to Inception were unwarranted. Otherwise, it was a cute romcom about defying God's will to salvage your hard-on, with hats!
The Lincoln Lawyer was good, but not great. It looked  like an HBO special and I'm shallow.

No comments:

Post a Comment