Tuesday, February 26, 2013

BaD Things Thursday: PS4, Oscar Picks and Work Let Me Explain Feb 21, 2013 1:06AM PST

So yesterday I creeped you all out by saying I work at a job where I brush doll hair and watch men strip. I phrased it that way on purpose for laughs, but just so you know, the context behind that is that I work as a production assistant and I was describing shoots for clients from a toy company, and a safety gear company, respectively. Nothing foul is actually going on, just in case you looked at me weird after last blog lol.
Oh, and the Playstation 4 was announced. I literally only know that because of GH and asrealasitgets' blogs; I realized it was an announcement reading GH's blog, and asrealasitgets had a good recap with some pretty pictures and said they were trying some facebook style social networking thing with gaming. I'm not opposed to pretty graphics or facebook (though I know a lot of you are), but I've not heard anything about attempts to essentially ban used copies of games which has been a real hot-button topic around here lately. Hopefully, that's cause they're not dumb enough to try it.
Anyway, I work with people who have worked on movies (at lunch yesterday a coworker was discussing her work on Beautiful Creatures and Olympus, which comes out this month and was filmed in New Orleans she said), and I love movies, and the Oscars are this Sunday, and "Things Thursdays" are my "list blogs," so here is my current facebook Oscar ballot.
It's supposed to be a game in which you try to guess the winners, but I decided to mark what I want to win instead, and just use it as an updating tool on Oscar night. Here goes:
Best Picture - Silver Linings Playbook
Why it's my choice: As someone who's had experience with psychological issues and people who have them, wants nothing more than to find the relationship he's been searching for all his life, and who's favorite stories, especially in movies, are redemption stories, this film hit every personal chord a movie can strike with me. Simply put, it was my favorite of 2012, and it left the biggest emotional impact on me.
What I think will win: Honestly, I think it will win for Best Picture. My next best bet would be Argo, since it's been sweeping up every other awards ceremony, but they didn't nominate Affleck for director, and usually director is a predictor for best picture.

Best Lead Actor - Joaquin Phoenix, The Master
Why it's my choice: While I respect Daniel Day Lewis a great deal, he had some makeup help. With none of that, Phoenix convinced me he was a horny retard in the most captivating way a person can convince you they're a horny retard. That sounds funny, but this isn't a joke, I really do feel Joaquin acted most convincingly unlike himself, without the help of external things like makeup, out of the nominees.
Who I think will win: Daniel Day Lewis, who pretty much became what we understand Lincoln to be; but again, through method and makeup; not criticizing this, he deserves it, but I just found Phoenix's performance more captivating.
Best Lead Actress - Jennifer Lawrence, Silver Linings Playbook
Why it's my choice: Again, personal choice based on emotion, I was drawn to her character's broken and flawed, troubled, but ultimately great personality, and her performace is why it worked. However, in terms of being technically impressive, I'd say Quvenzhane Wallis, as a child actor having to act against special effects, being totally convincing in her role in Beasts of the Southern Wild, and being the youngest actress to ever be nominated, is far and away most deserving. But you know, personal preference. I liked Jessica Chastain a lot as well in Zero Dark Thirty, never saw The Impossible, so can't judge Naomi Watts.
Who I think will win: Jennifer Lawrence has the most buzz as well, so I think she'll win.
Best Supporting Actor - Christoph Waltz, Django Unchained
Why it's my choice: Pretty much every nominee, from DiNero to Tommy Lee Jones to Alan Arkin, is just playing themselves again, except Philip Seymour Hoffman. I wanted to choose based on who never won an Oscar before, but they all have. Waltz actually won recently for his portrayal of basically the same character in that Jewish revenge movie. So why pick him over Hoffman? Personal preference, I was drawn the most to his performance out of any of the nominees. He's great at what he does.
Who I think will win: I want to say Tommy Lee Jones, as the character he was playing had the greatest arc, but we'll see.
Best Supporting Actress - Amy Adams, The Master
Why it's my choice: She went from Office sweetheart to terrifying wife of a cult starter in no time flat. Her performance is both quiet and vicious, and it was the best thing in the movie for me. Easy choice for me. Never saw The Sessions, so can't judge Helen Hunt.
Who I think will win: either Anne Hatheaway who's gotten much buzz about her 15 minutes of hair cutting and breaking down while singing, or Sally Field's amazing portrayal of Lincoln's wife, which she fought to get in spite of her older age. I hope Fields, but could easily be Hatheaway.
Best Animated Film - Wreck-it Ralph
Why it's my choice: I saw all five nominees, cause I happen to like animated movies, and while I like them all on some level, I just loved the way this threw out game references in a way that didn't interfere with the story, and personally I both laughed and almost cried the hardest at this one, particularly at a certain character backstory scene and one involving the smashing of candy, respectively.
What I think will win: Brave, which I'm kind of annoyed by, even though I thought its music and graphics were gorgeous, cause they'll probably only do it cause it's a Pixar movie, and only Pixar movies get awards. Blech. I hope I'm surprised, but not holding my breath.
Best Cinematography - Skyfall
Why it's my choice: The Shanghai (or wherever they were on that river with the orange lights) and Tokyo shots alone make this an easy choice for what I found to be the most visually awesome movie of the nominees.
What I think will win: Life of Pi or Lincoln, which are both also great.

Costume Design - Anna Keranina
Why it's my choice: Never saw it, but of the trailers and movies of nominees I watched, it looked like by far the most elaborately designed costume.
What I think will win: Same movie ... I guess? Not a costume design expert.

Best Director - Steven Spielberg, Lincoln
Why it's my choice: I'm ... not explaining this, you know why
Who I think will win: David O. Russel, to match with Best Picture Silver Linings Playbook
Best Documentary Feature - Searching for Sugar Man
Why it's my choice: Only doc I saw of the nominees, plus iit introduced me to some great music, and one hell of an interesting, humble, and genuine mystery guitar man.
What I think will win: The Invisible War, which actually got legislation passed to further efforts to reduce military rape crimes against U.S. women soldiers, and is the only documentary I heard any buzz about. I'd probably like it if I saw it, and want it to win given that accomplishment. What an achievement.

Best Documentary Short - Inocente
Why it's my choice: This is based entirely on trailers, as I've seen none of the nominees, but this tale of a homeless young girl finding a new path through art reminded me of someone close to me and thus pulled those heart strings. Runner up for me would be Open Heart about a doctor that performs the surgery in Africa.
What I think will win: No idea, never knew these movies existed before filling out ballot.

Best Film Editing - Zero Dark Thirty
Why it's my choice: It's hard to explain, but the editing helps a great deal in the pacing, and keeps this quiet movie chugging along while maintaining a certain sterile quality that helps set up surprises and keeps the viewer focused.
What I think will win: pretty much this. It's a damn well edited film.

Best Foreign Language Film - No
Why it's my choice: Again, based wholly on trailers, this looked like the Chilean version of Argo, but replace the CIA with some ad agency men and a hostage situation with a revolution; it's about how some men revolutionized the country by using advertising techniques to get to the people, and seems to share that same balancing act of humor and seriousness with Argo. Close runner-up would be Canadian film War Witch, about a child soldier in Africa accused of being a witch for surviving a firefight. Both films look great.
What I think will win: No idea, again didn't know of these movies before seeing them on ballot.

Makeup and Hairstyling - Hitchcock
Why it's my choice: Peter Jackson already won for LotR and is doing the same stuff now, Les Mis didn't have out there noticeable makeup jobs, but the guy playing Hitchcock looks just like him thanks to weight and makeup.
What I think will win: same as my pick

Best Original Score - John Williams, Lincoln
Why: Like with Spielberg, you know why
What I think will win: Same as my pick

Best Original Song - "Skyfall" by Adele
Why: Thank fucking Christ we got back to letting a woman sing a Bond theme. Not only that, it's so good in its own right it's right up there with "Goldfinger."
What I think will win: same as my pick
Best Production Design - Anna Keranina
Why: Again, looked by far the most elaborate of the nominees
What I think will win: This or Lincoln... probably Lincoln.

Best Animated Short - Paperman
Why: Only one I saw, as it was the short that played before Wreck-it Ralph, plus it was a great, heartwarming and simple short with a cool mix of 3D and 2D art, plus the other nominees except Maggie's Daycare didn't look that interesting.
What I think will win: No idea, so I'll go with my pick lol.

Best Live-Action Short - Death of a Shadow
Why: Trailer looked coolest of the nominees
What I think will win: No clue

Best Sound Editing - Skyfall
Why: I thought the music and sound effects and everything was edited together quite seamlessly
What'll win: No clue

Sound Mixing - Les Miserables
Why: it's a musical, it needs good sound mixing and has it
What'll win: I'll guess my pick

Visual Effects - Life of Pi
Why: That CGI tiger looked convincing as hell, as did everything else. Close runner-up for me was Avengers.
What will win: probably my pick, but Avengers winning an Oscar would be awesome, and for this particular award, it's not out of the question.

Best Adapted Screenplay - Argo
Why: The script is the biggest reason this balancing act between somber and hilarious works so damn well.
What'll win: I guess my pick

Best Original Screenplay - Moonrise Kingdom
Why: I felt the script helped a great deal with defining the quirky Wes Anderson town and characters, provide laughs and romance, and all scripts do that, but this with a little more pizzaz than other nominees.
What'll win: I think Django Unchained, and hey, well-deserved, it's a great script that mixes revenge, comedy, tragedy, and action masterfully.

No comments:

Post a Comment