Sunday, February 24, 2013

Quick generation gap rant (not before published) Jul 08, 2010 8:50AM PST

This has relatively little to do with Roger Ebert I promise but it does stem from a recent blog of his in which he asked voters to decide whether they'd trade Huckleberry Finn for every videogame ever made. It's an obvious and obnoxious loaded question where answering that you'd save the games = you can't appreciate complex narratives about race and societal contempt towards a misunderstood group of people. Cause you're just a stupid pot smoking teen that does nothing but eat Doritos and play Call of Duty all goddamn day.
Personally, while I think Mark Twain is one of the greatest writers of our time (and someone whose autobiography I was pricing on Amazon shortly before I saw Ebert's blog post) I never really cared for Huck Finn on a personal level, mainly because while I certainly get that Twain was writing the way people spoke, I just generally approach country-folk speak as a turn off. I know that some of you are thinking, "don't you live in Dallas, TX?" Yes, yes I do, and if you lived down here you would realize that most downtown Dallas businesses are owned by very openly homosexual people and if any recent elections were determined by residents below age 35 it would be a Democratic state. It's not a "country-folk" atmosphere. Now shut the fuck up you ignorant people.

No comments:

Post a Comment